Sunday, August 7, 2011

Help Send Me to Bled for the LW1x!

USRowing Senior Trials

On the 4th August at 8:20am I raced in the Senior Trials to secure my spot on the 2011 team. The racing took place on Mercer Lake in Princeton, NJ and the calm waters welcomed me. Thunder and rain the night before left me wondering what dawn would bring. And by dawn, I really was up at 4:30am to see what winds there may be. As a lightweight, our routine starts early. Two hours before the actual race we need to present ourselves to the officials and stand on a scale. 130lbs (59kg) and no more. Making weight is the first part of the 'race'. The second part comes when you launch 40min before, row to the start line, and wait for the call-down. Ms Goldsack, Ms Grobler, Ms Daley... Attention... Holding my breathe, the sound of the buzzer catapults me into a sudden preoccupation with speed and power. Jen Goldsack is from the UK. She holds dual citizenship and raced an unbelievable race in 2007 and got a silver medal for the USA. Watch this great race here >
Our commonwealth commonness gives me a sense of home when I hear her talk. But today, its all on racing and who's bow ball will signal the ending siren first. Down the course we go. My start was a little flimsy. Ok, not what I wanted I mustered, but move on, and move down. Correct. Yes. Light. Legs. These words circle stroke after stroke gaining me momentum that put me ahead. "Final Results in the lightweight women’s single sculls, Ursula Grobler (Pretoria, South Africa) won her race in 7:51.41." Results sheet

On land again, I read over my form that says, Well done, now pay up...


LW1x

Lightweight Woman Single Scull

Help me

get to Bled and back...


Herein starts the dilemma: The lightweight single is a non-olympic event. That means that USRowing will not fund any part of this opportunity to go represent in a World Championship Regatta. Not only do you train all day, with little income, you must also pay $3550.00, and that's airfare, NOT INCLUDED! A starving athlete plight, I ask if you could please consider a pledge, cash, donation, moolah, quid, $dollars, £pounds, €euro's and/or Rrands to help give me the chance to race in this World Championship Regatta.

Paypal donations here


Or Tax Donations by cheque to:



payable to: National Rowing Foundation or NRF
mail to: National Rowing Foundation > 67 Mystic Road > North Stonington, CT 06359


Note:
The IRS does not permit us to accept tax-deductible gifts on behalf of an individual athlete but we are able to accept donations to your BOAT CLASS. Please be sure to ask donors to mark the memo line of checks 'LW1X' or, if donating online at
www.natrowing.org to check off "Other" in the gift designation box and type 'LW1X' in the space provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment